Review | Etude House Fix and Fix Primer - Mint ♡ Etude House Pink Bird Box April 2017

Monday 8 May 2017


Primer is something I use pretty much everyday and I'm usually one for a brightening one to help my rather dull skin look a bit healthier. That combined with a nice bright blush seems to give me a healthy complexion that I'm frequently complimented on. Thanks to Etude House, I was able to try a colour correcting primer for the first time in January in cushion form and I was quite happy with the results so I was more than excited to try a different form of the product. When asked which colour corrector I would like I chose Mint because I suffer from redness in my face and redness that increases as the day goes by. Etude House's Fix and Fix Primer shares its shades with the cushion (aside from the strobing one is changed up for one that seemingly acts similarly to the Benefit Porefessional). But this time it comes in a tube form and a liquid-cream formula.



The packaging of this product is very sleek and the fact that it's mint green as well bodes really well with me (I'm gonna say this a million times but it's my favourite colour!). I love minimalist pastel packaging and this is nice and compact to take about in my bag with me. 




As this is a tube, the product is squeezed out as expected and when it comes out you will notice the mint green is a very pale mint green and from what I have been able to see it is very similar if not the same shade as the cushion, so I was expecting the same result from it other than the application may finish differently due to not using a cushion to apply this time. 


A lot of people when talking about the colour correcting primer from Etude House have mentioned a white cast on their skin as a finish. While this is true, and something I mentioned before, I actually did a bit more research on Korean blogs and articles into it to see why it does. Korea's beauty trend has always tended to feature pale, flawless skin, but more recently, there's been some acknowledgement that it can be difficult to acheive for some people with either issues such as redness, dark spots or dullness of the skin and those with more tanned skin. Whitening skincare and procedures have been used regularly for a while, but these products are for the initial instances of skin troubles rather than skintone*, so the usage of what they call "tone up" make up (such as this primer) is becoming more popular to meet with this trend. So this pale white skin is obtained using a primer that creates a white cast and then is covered with a BB cream or foundation, then accentuated with a combination of a bright or soft lip colour. This is of course for those that want to follow this trend that a lot of celebrities are showcasing and has been quite a popularised look in Korea. 

Because of this, I don't see a lot of issue with the white cast for myself because I myself am already pale so this helps accentuate that. My only real issue is that because it is a green shade, it takes the warmth out of my skin which then comes back when I add my BB/Foundation on top, so this definitely isn't something to wear by itself!



I'll showcase here the difference in my skintone. I'm actually quite happy with the condition of my skin at the moment asides from my scars, so there aren't a lot of visible issues but you can see some redness to the cheeks and to the nose area, these tend to be the parts that I suffer from redness the worst especially when the weather is either really hot or cold. Applying the primer does take a lot of the redness away but you can see quite clearly that my skin loses it's warm yellow tone to it (and you can see that tone remaining on my neck where it wasn't applied). 

I have found using this, that my skin does't go as red as it normally would throughout the day. This is the same result that I found previously with the cushion. I think I prefer this tube style over the cushion as I find it's simply easier to apply with my fingers and I also know how much product I have remaining (as cushions do absorb some amount of the product that's put inside). Would I buy this again? Possibly, I want to try the colour correcting sticks from Etude House as well at some point and see how the two in combination work. I'm actually going to take this primer with me when I go on holiday to Spain in two weeks, so this will be going on top of sunscreen to protect my skin and hopefully reduce any redness in my face with the heat!


What are your views on colour correcting products? Have you tried any of Etude House's? Which shade do you think would be necessary for you?

*This is taken from my research on the topic and I'm hoping I haven't worded my sentences in regards to skintone in a way that may upset anyone, as I feel I'm not in a position to go too into detail in regards to any tone other than my own. If I have worded things poorly, please let me know.

Follow me on: youtube | twitter | instagram | facebook | bloglovin'