Skinfood Beauty In a Food Mask Sheet // Watermelon

Saturday 6 October 2018



Anyone else manage to accumulate a massive amount of sheet masks to the point you don't think you're ever going to be able to get through all of them? I'm currently finding myself in that position but I'm aiming to work through them over the next few months to at least reduce my pile down! Today I'm going to be sharing a little review on the Skinfood Beauty In a Food Mask Sheet in my most favourite ever scent/flavour of anything ever, watermelon. I love the scent of watermelon, even if it's that artificial one, it still smells the best to me and is super refreshing. Plus the actual fruit is delicious.

The watermelon mask aims to moisturise the skin and help sensitive and dry skin feel a lot more noirished and less agitated. I've been suffering from the cold for the last 3 weeks, my skin hasn't had it's usual TLC and just doesn't feel as good as normally would. So this is exactly what I'm after!

INGREDIENTS

As far as I understand this is the correct ingredients list, as I found it incredibly difficult to find the listings for this product with the same ingredients.
Water, Glycerin, Propanediol, Butylene Glycol, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Isododecane, Nymphaea Alba Flower Extract, Sodium Polyacrylate Starch, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Hizikia Fusiforme Extract, Aronia Melanocarpa Fruit Extract, Caulerpa Lentillifera Extract, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hyaluronate, D&C Red No.33(Ci 17200), Fragrance
 As per usual with a sheet mask, after washing your face you apply the mask evenly to your face and leave it on for 10-20 minutes. I usually end up leaving the mask on for the full 20 minutes to get the most out of it. This particular mask fits very well to my face, there are a couple of slits, namely along the jaw and the inner corners of the eyes just to make it easier to adapt the mask a little to suit your face shape and feature aligning. This made it super comfortable to wear and I suffered from no slippage while upright. It has a moderate scent of watermelon without being too much, it's a little on the artificial smelling side but at the same time, also smells quite like an actual watermelon.



There is the perfect amount of essence in the package and it's not too moist to the point that it drips everywhere but there's enough to rub down into your neck to moisturise it.

Unfortunately, my experience with this mask has not been a good one. After taking the mask off, my skin was very red and blotchy and suddenly burning and felt hot to touch. It was just so painful and tight and just didn't look good. It didn't feel remotely nourished and felt drier than it was before I did the mask if anything. Wasn't what I was expecting from the mask at all. I don't normally react to sheet masks or any kind of skincare as my skin is pretty resilient to ingredients and isn't sensitive for the majority of the time. The mask was also manufactured this year as well, so it's not like it was expired or anything. It just didn't work well. That's not to say you will have the same reaction, but this is the honest experience I had with it.

I'm a little bummed. I really like Skinfood as a brand and have loved their skincare and make up for years, so for my first experience with their sheet masks to be like this is a little discouraging. However, I'm not going to write the masks off completely and will possibly give this particular mask or the other versions of it a try again in the future and see if my skin reacts the same then too. It may just be a case of the fact I changed my hormonal contraception this week and it may just be a hormonal difference causing my skin to react in such a way, or it could just be that this mask in particular just doesn't agree with me, sadly.

I hope this hasn't put you off buying any of Skinfood's masks and bear in mind, that everyone's skin is different and reacts differently. Now, I'm away to go and cover my face in aloe vera to take some of this burning and redness away. So I'll leave you with the vine I quote everytime I mention watermelons.